Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hippocratic Oddities

I went to the doctor this morning to get tested for strep throat.

I have to paint a quick picture for you about General Practitioners (GP) I've seen lately. In January, I made an appointment to see a GP. After getting to his office, I was informed that "He's not taking any new patients," but that he'd see me just for that day. I did see him, and he didn't look at me, didn't let me speak without interrupting me, and was generally terse. He came off as angry and unsympathetic, even with tears streaming down my face (kidney stone tears, fyi).

I saw a new GP two weeks ago, and he was brief and efficient, and had that doctorly patina of professionalism. I was a bit more prepared for it this time, but the guy didn't really express any sympathy or exude any concern. That's fine.

I saw someone new on Sunday (my clinic was closed). The meeting was very rushed because they were busy. Same kind of doctor, quick and professional. At one point I had some tears leak out, and he stopped and looked at me and said, "Are you all right?" with the same amount of emotion that one would use to say, "Would you like fries with that?" It was fine. We talked about what I should do and I left.

But I was confused when I left his office. He told me my infection is viral ( = do not take antibiotics), but he prescribed antibiotics for me. He said to fill the prescription if I didn't get better in a few days. But I really don't want to take antibiotics if I don't need to. So I decided to get my throat swabbed today to see if I have strep throat.

I didn't have an appointment so I had to see a new GP with instacare.

I told him what was going on, and another darn tear leaked out. So he hugged me. The guy hugged me. A big hug. He said, "I'm old enough to be your dad so I can do that." And he patted my knee and kept calling me 'sweetie.' And he'd give me little frownie faces when I told him my symptoms. And he told me I did a good job when he put the tounge depressor in my mouth and said 'ah.' And basically cooed over me like I was 4 years old the whole time. I was so surprised, I walked out of that office like the people at the end of Close Encounters, stumbling out of the mothership.

It was odd, of course, to be treated like I was much younger. But I'd rather have oddness that exudes concern and sympathy than grim professionalism. But I bet there are people out there that would rather have the quick, professional, let's-get-this-over-with experience. I understand, but I really wish this guy had been around during my kidney stone fiasco.

7 comments:

Barney Family said...

Brebre, I'm sick. I'm oh, so sick. Sunday night, which we spent at dad's house, I kept waking up and realizing that it hurt when I swallowed. So, we got up Mon. morn and just threw everything in the car to get home! It reminded me of your departure on Fri. Doug stopped in Mesquite and took the kids into a buffet which sounded disgusting to me, so I slept in the car. A few hours later I was shivering with chills--and a fever. I came home and went straight to bed and didn't get up yesterday. I thought the fever had broken last night, so I let the ibuprofen wear off--and woke up this morning with my t-shirt soaked through from the sweat. Man, this sucks. I had to pull myself out of bed this morning to pay my bills and get my tax payment in the mail (being the 15th). But I can't swallow anything...whine, whine, whine. AT LEAST IT DIDN'T HAPPEN DURING THE TRIP!!! And it was a great trip. Just hope I'm back to myself soon. Poor Matti was in tears as she went to bed last night, me being sick puts a big burden on her.

Jacque said...

That was such a funny post. Very good description of typical doctor's visits. I think sometimes they can't possibly figure out what's wrong with you if they don't want you to speak for more than about 30 seconds. I'm glad you finally got someone nice. Sometimes it pays to shop around. I've done that a lot with pediatricians. What a yucky virus!!

Hugs from mom said...

So, did you have strep? I read the whole thing waiting for a verdict. I'm glad you found a nice doctor, though. I love my doctor but it is hard to find one who doesn't rush you or make you feel stupid for having a "virus."

And Erika - I'm so sorry.

Kylen and Adrienne said...

I had to go to the insta care in Dec for a sinus infection and the guy seeing me was totally similar to the guy you described...he mentioned that he was old enough to be my father and was totally sympathetic. I remember feeling a little silly, but at the same time walking out thinking that was a positive experience...maybe it was the same guy. So, yeah, totally agree with ya.

Nikki Jenson said...

I love my new GP! He flirts with me and holds my hand (even when I am there for the kids!) ...but apparently I need comforting too! kidding. He's very thorough - you should try using your sex-appeal next time! bwah ha ha! Only kidding! Doctors are creepy!

Brooke S. said...

oh! I'm so mad/happy on your behalf! I'm mad at those duds, and so glad that you finally found someone who didn't stink.

A few years back I was seeing someone for what I affectionately call "face explosion" and I was really embarrassed because 1) I'm an adult and adults don't have teen acne and 2) All the doctor's I'd seen looked at me like I needed to stop complaining and wash my face.

I finally went to this doctor that looked at me with the dearest concern in his eyes and said "This must be hard for you, I'm going to take care of this." It pretty much made my life.

amy jo said...

I had a very similar experience with the saga of Jill joining the earth. How come you got to feel shamed when you have a normal emotional response? wierd.. glad you got the nice guy!