Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Introducing the newest addition to our family


This is... well, we're not really sure about the name yet.  But this is our new cat.  She's very, very sweet and fits right into the household as though she was all that was missing.  We're debating on names... I like Abba Zabba which I think every cat should be named.  We also think she looks like her name could be "Tabby" (Michael says Tabatha).  My sister says she needs some kind of caramel macchiato name.  We're open to suggestions so feel free to leave a comment.


The main reason we got a cat is because we have mice (and not the good kind like you gave us, Dad).  Every fall they come into the house and drive me crazy, this is the third year.  The first two years we put down traps and caught some of them... and then after a few weeks they went away mysteriously.  I began to think that with all of the traps down they thought, "You know, I'm beginning to think we're not wanted around here!" and then they left.  But who knows.  Anyway, this year they haven't gone away and there's this little fat mouse that's especially devious, outsmarting all of my traps.  The most disturbing thing is that they'd crawl through my bedroom on a nightly basis, waking me up and making me so disgusted that I couldn't fall back asleep.  Then after two mornings of me walking out and seeing a mouse race across my kitchen counter right in front of me as I screamed and screamed, we decided it was time to call in the big dogs.  Or cats.

Well, we got the cat on Saturday and... I haven't seen or heard from a mouse since.  Hehehehe.  Hehehehehe!  Kitty has a little mouse toy that she loves to toss around at night and chase and bite, and I think she's setting an example.  It's a warning to all the other mice in the house.  "This could be you."  Hehehehe.  I may be a little vindictive.

Jane LOVES the kitty, and she calls it "Meow."  When I put her to bed at night we say bye bye to things in the house, and now she's added, "Bye bye, Meow."  The cat is... barely tolerant of Jane.  She can take about 4 seconds of Jane-time and then she's out of there (pictured below).  But she does let Jane get a pet in now and then and is generally very tolerant of Jane.  The cat came from a house with two energetic dogs, and I think that was a bit stressful for her, she seems to really enjoy the peace and quiet in our house, even if Jane does chase her down a hallway now and then giggling like her evil plan is about to come to fruition.


Getting a cat was a really hard decision for us, since we didn't really want the responsibility of a pet and especially since one of my sisters is highly allergic to cats.  There were lots of guilt ridden phone calls to her before I even started looking.  But I do have to say I kind of love having this cat around.  She keeps me company at night when Michael is at work and Jane's in bed, and we see her now and then throughout the day when she comes out for a pet.  She's really sweet, sweeter than any cat I've met in quite a few years, and Michael and Jane both love her.  So hopefully this was the right move.

4 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

Abba Zabba is a great name, but then Meow is soooooooo cat like; I can't make up my mind. Good job
BTW I understand that mice can't resist peanut butter (or maybe that's rats). Good Luck!

Jacque said...

I told you to get one last year! No guilt from me... I am soooo glad you got her, she is beautiful and silky soft and sweet. Plus, I was probably allergic to those mice anyway. ;)

Hugs from mom said...

I'm so excited for you guys. Now there's another cat lover in the family. Cats are surprisingly low maintenance so rest easy. I still think you should name her Wendy. She and Peter can hang out. I wonder how they would get along? Don't worry baby kitties aren't an option.

D & C said...

I think Jane already named the cat.