Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Surgery blues

The doctor didn't get the stone. It turns out that the stone is smaller than we thought, and when the doctor saw it in the tube, it actually floated away, back up into my kidney before he could get it. He said that the tube connecting my kidney to my bladder (the ureter) is really small and tight, and even though the stone was small, the tube was so tight that it couldn't make it into my bladder. So he put a stint in, which is enlarging my ureter tube, so that hopefully it's easy for the stone to float down into my bladder and then finally out. He says that he usually leaves in stints for a few days, but he wants to leave mine in for two weeks to give the stone a good chance of getting out. I have an appointment for Dec 30th to get it out.

This has been incredibly frustrating and painful. I can feel the stint in my body. It causes a lot of discomfort and makes me sick to my stomach. Most people can't do anything until they get their stint out, but my job at the library can't spare me for all of the time that the stint will be in, and I have to figure out some way to get in to work so that I don't lose my job. The stress of that coupled with feeling constantly sick and having crazy pain whenever I have to go to the bathroom makes everyday pretty hellish.

Everyone is being really sweet and trying to call to see how I'm doing, and it's so nice to know that you care. But most of the time I feel like crying when I hear the phone ring, so sorry if you haven't talked with me in awhile. Michael will be done with finals tomorrow, and then has a few days off of work, so hopefully that will help make things a little less tight around here. I hope everyone is having a good holiday season. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

2 comments:

Kylen and Adrienne said...

That definitely would be hard. No worries about calling back. I got a nasty cold so I won't be going out for a while. Hope you're able to make it to work...I'll be praying for the stone to pass soon. Keep hanging in there :)

heather said...

Hey Breanne. I'm sorry for all the pain you are going through. I was telling caleb, I've never had to throw up because of how much pain I was in. I can't even imagine how terrible that must be. I'm sorry you have to stress about work on top of all of the medical issues. That is superlame. My work is hiring a million people if you want to come here. :0) I would love to see you more. That probably doesn't make you feel any better, but honestly, i hope your work can work with you more. I've been thinking of you all week.