Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Portland Day 3: Exploring

Day 3 we decided to take advantage of Portland's excellent light rail system.  I wish we had something as extensive and convenient here in Utah.  There was a stop just a minute from our hotel and we just rode it right downtown.  Jane thought the train was pretty cool, but she was not crazy about when it stopped and started if she was not safely in her parent's lap.


Our first stop was Powell's Bookstore, the "largest independent new and used bookstore in the world,"  or what my co-worker referred to as "Mecca for bibliophiles."  It is quite dazzling to walk through, taking up several floors and I think almost a whole block of downtown Portland. 


Jane picked up a pop-up book about monsters eating silly things, and didn't put it down again.  Well, we did wrestle it out of her hands to pay for it, which she was not happy about.


After this we stopped at bakery to pick up some yummy baked goods for lunch, and afterward went back to our hotel for Jane's afternoon nap.  When she woke up, we were back on the train, headed downtown to the Lan Su Chinese Gardens.  Portland has tons of parks and gardens, and we had quite a few on our list that we wanted to try to visit.








We probably horsed around a little more than people should do in such a beautiful place.



We had dinner at a nearby Chinese restaurant and then took the train home to put Jane to bed.  It didn't seem like we did much, but we were pooped!

5 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

I hate to say this, but, your posts wouldn't be nearly as interesting without adorable Jane. Pretty cool pics.

Breanne said...

I probably wouldn't post nearly as much, or as many pictures if it weren't for Jane. She's just too cute!

Kylen and Adrienne said...

ooooh, I LOVE anything Chinese! That garden was so beautiful! I have to admit that I was wondering what on earth would be remotely fun to do in Portland to inspire a vacation there, but you're totally convincing me that it's a cool place to go. How fun!

Hugs from mom said...

I'm jealous. I want to take my baby to Portland too. And btw, did Michael decide he didn't need to shave because he was on vacation? Just wondering. :)

Breanne said...

Michael has a strict no-shaving policy if he doesn't have to! It's actually really painful for him to shave, so if he doesn't have to work he usually doesn't.