Thursday, December 16, 2010

Michael can't catch a break

Poor Michael.  The holidays are a difficult time for him, mainly because the anticipation of unopened gifts is pretty much agonizing for him.  Not knowing what I've gotten him drives him crazy, this grown man that I'm married to.  This is the same man that made us open all of our gifts on Christmas Eve last year, because he couldn't wait for Christmas morning.  And it's not just wanting to know what I've gotten him, he's also dying to see me open my gifts, too.  Personally, I think it's adorable, and incredibly fun to mess with him and taunt him.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy for him to tease me.  Last week when Michael was ordering a few things on Amazon, he started taunting me, "A couple of these things might be for youuuuu."  I think this elicited a shrug and a smile from me.

Compare that with later that day when I brought home a couple of gifts from the store and wrapped them before he woke up.  When he saw them later, he was instantly asking me a million questions.  "What did you get me!  Can I open it?  This one looks like a movie.  Is it a movie?  I can tell it's a movie.  What movie is it?  Is it one of the ones on my Amazon list?  Let's look at my list together and you can tell me if it's one of those."  Then he took me through EACH movie on his list, all of which I said "no" to.  (Heh heh heh)

Then we have the following conversation:

Michael: "It isn't The Big Bang Theory, Season 2, is it?"

Me: "No."  [Long pause]  "Is that what you got me?"

Michael:  "... CRAP!"

Me, after I stopped laughing: "Did you get it for the same deal we saw on Black Friday?"

Michael: "No, it was about $15 more.  But Alice in Wonderland was $10 off, so it balances out a little."

Me: "Michael? Is that the other thing you got me?"

Michael: "CRAPPPP!!!!!"

Poor Michael can't catch a break.

Somehow every year I accidentally figure out what he's getting me.  Ok, 2009 he did slip a couple of surprises past me, but pretty much every other year I've always figured it out.  Probably because he tries to taunt me and then accidentally lets a clue slip by and I figure it out.  But this year he really didn't give me much to work with!  I mean, I can't do much when he's literally telling me what he got me.

There's always next year.

6 comments:

Jacque said...

Man, I am laughing my head off. Michael is so cute! I love the yearly tradition of guessing presents! We are "mums the word" over here. =)

Hugs from mom said...

I love it! That reminds me of Ryan's and my first Christmas when Ryan excitedly said, "why don't you open the rolling pin next!" I just looked at him and him physically sagged. I think it's so cute that they get so excited to surprise us but then can't hold it in.

MBC said...

Very funny! We just had a similar incident last night. Steve was so pleased with himself for having wrapped up a new present for me and desperately wanted me to shake it and guess what it was. And then I guessed and he got quiet, because I'm VERY GOOD at guessing. He tells me that I didn't get it exactly right but he was murmuring about having to get me a new, secret present this morning.

Breanne said...

MBC - lol! Michael is out this morning, too, getting me something else. Poor men.

Nikki Jenson said...

I wrapped all my own presents this year...bah humbug!

jes said...

I can hear Micheal's voice screaming "CRAP!" through the computer when I read your post. I miss you guys!!!!