Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Name Game

Well, we've been living in this house for 2 months now, and I finally found my plates yesterday. My favorite plates. The plates that we use all the time, every day, for every meal. The plates that I saved the BEST, most easiest-to-get-to spot in the cupboard for. I found them after 2 months of looking. 2 months of getting frustrated and walking down to the basement with a sharp object and cutting through boxes at random, even though I PACKED these boxes, even though they have labels on them that I WROTE and are RIGHT.

But the kitchen got packed for me, and though it's a wonderful service and gift that I really am grateful for - being pregnant and sick as I was, it's hard to find things later. But I found them. And now they're in the hallowed spot in the cupboard. And the house felt just a little bit more like home last night.

Of course it probably helped that we had a cold front move through, and the cold air outside makes this house seem so cozy and inviting. There's nothing like a old warm house with big windows to look out at fall from.

Anyway, since we found out we are having a little girl, the first and most natural question that comes to everyone's mind is: what are you going to name her?

I have been asked what feels like a million times. I have no idea. Well, I have some ideas, but nothing seems right. Michael is ready to drop everything and commit to a couple of names right here and now. And paint them in big letters on the wall in her room. And take out an ad in the paper about it. And maybe involve a skywriter.

But like I said, nothing seems to fit quite right to me. There are names that I like, but I just can't imagine my child with that name. Or I like that name for a baby, but what about when she's 30 and wants to be taken seriously? And my biggest fear is that we'll pick a name (Myrtle), and then we'll meet her and be like, "What! You're not a Myrtle! Now we have to pick a whole new name for you."

We're open to suggestions.

4 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

You know the story about Tamerra Nicole don't you. When her dad looked at her in the hospital nursery, with lots of black hair, he thought, "that's not a Tammy, that's a Nikki. Your mother agreed. Can you imagine calling Nikki Tammy. Good Luck

Nikki Jenson said...

Kai says "Cassidy".
Brent says "Beatrice". (Or "Belle" from Twilight.)
Keala says "Rose".
I say "Tamerra Nicole" bwah ha ha! J/K. What you have to do is take a serious moment to think of what her personality "feels like" to you and who she reminds you of. (Which Auntie or friend) and that will help you get closer to a name!

Hugs from mom said...

We chose Dallin's name because we wanted our first son to be responsible and compassionate. We saw that name on a list a toy Santa Clause was holding in one of those home decorating shops and knew that was the right name for him. It's crazy but sometimes you just know.

Please don't be one of those parents though that lets their kid be nameless for a week while they try to decide, after the baby's been born!

Danette said...

When I was pregnant with my first I was in line at the supermarket and this adorable kid said "Hi, my name is Nic-o-las!" I totally planned to use that name, and then my stupid brother-in-law stole it even though we told them we were using it. I'm still bitter 15 years later.

When you decide be careful who you tell, people are tempted to steal your awesome name!